Department of Minnesota Scouting Program Chair
What is the Scout of the Year Program?
Annually the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States awards three individuals who are: Eagle Scouts, Girl Scout Gold Award recipients, Venture Summit Award recipients and/or Sea Scout Quartermasters who have risen above their peers in exemplifying the qualities of that rank.
Many VFW posts and Districts also give out awards as entry forms are judge and winners move to the next level. Contact your local VFW Post for more information.
Am I Eligible?
To be eligible for the award, the candidate must:
- Be the recipient of the Eagle Scout Award, Girl Scout Gold Award, Venture Summit Award or Sea Scout Quartermaster Award.
- Be a registered, active member of a Boy or Girl Scout Troop, Venturing Crew or Sea Scout Ship at the time the above reward was received.
- Have demonstrated exemplary citizenship in school, Scouting and community.
Prior National Scout of the Year winners are ineligible. Applications still in high school who reach their 18th birthday during the nomination year remain eligible if otherwise qualified. A scout may enter through only one VFW Post. A local Post can be identified by zip code at www.vfw.org/find-a-post.
What are the Deadlines?
- Deadline for entry to VFW Post is March 1.
- One candidate with full entry criteria must be submitted by a VFW Post to the next level of judging by April 1 . The VFW Department (state) Scouting chairman can provide this information.
- The Department winner must be selected and submitted by their Department (state) Scouting chairman to the VFW National Headquarters by May 1.
Questions should be directed to Quentin Carroll at 816-756-3390 ext 6155 during normal business hours Monday through Friday or emailed to email@example.com.
What documentation is Required?
The following documentation should be submitted:
- Photograph of the Scout - must be attached to the entry form. The Scout must appear in correct, complete uniform for their current rank. Recommended size 3" x 5".
- School Participation Record - a single page, once sided resume of the candidate's activities indicating academic achievements, offices held, honors received and significant participation in other activities.
- Scouting Record - maximum of three pages, one side only, listing of all Scouting participation beginning with Cub Scouts or Brownies - years of participation, unit members and sponsors. Also include when Eagle, Gold Summit, or Quartermaster Award was received and Palms. Identify leadership positions held at all levels, participation in Scouting activities (jamborees, Order of the Arrow conferences, etc.) and the candidate's Eagle Scout, Girl Scout Gold Award, Ventures Summit, or Sea Scout Quartermaster Project.
- Community Service Record - a single page, one sided resume listing participation in community and religious service organizations (excluding Scouting and school), noting leadership position held and any recognition received.
- Letters of Recommendation - Submit three letters, no more than two pages in length from:
- A scout leader.
- A community member.
- A teacher/faculty member (if home schooled, a parent letter is allowed).
In addition, you may include one or two additional letters, no more than two pages in length from local community members who have special knowledge of the candidate's abilities/accomplishments.
Who makes up the VFW Scouting Team?
The backbone of Scouting in the VFW is the VFW Scouting Team. These VFW members are deeply involved in Scouting, most with decades of experience.
Appointed by their Department commander, they are responsible for promoting Scouting in their state. They are available to encourage Posts to sponsor units, support units and individual Scout projects. They should be the Department's "expert" on all phases of Scouting. Many Departments have multiple members of the VFW Scouting Team, but every Department should have at least one individual to promote the values of Scouting to youth and to the VFW itself. For more information on the VFW Scouting Team call 816-756-3390 ext 6155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org